Do you believe that no young person should have to live and work on the streets?
Do you believe that children who have lived on the streets deserve the chance to fulfill their potential?
S.A.L.V.E. International works with children living and working on the streets of Jinja to help them leave the streets and return home to their families and go back into education.
S.A.L.V.E. is looking to recruit a team of Ugandan volunteers to join us for an exciting one week project from 16th – 20th January 2023.
Head Counting Volunteers
You would volunteer with the S.A.L.V.E. team to carry out a community research project whereby we will do a head counting exercise to try to find out how many children are currently living and working on the streets of Jinja. This is an active role that will involve moving around different areas by foot and interacting with many different children to find out their current living/ working situation via a questionnaire. You would be part of a team to do this research for safety. We are looking for a team of volunteers (both male and female) who are keen to develop their experience and to volunteer and give their time and energy to try to support children living on the streets through this project. We want people to apply who are reliable, hard working, dedicated and who believe in good timing keeping.
Qualifications: We are interested in applications from social workers, development workers, teachers and research field workers.
The deadline for all volunteer applications is Wednesday 4th January 2023. If your application is successful for a Head Counting volunteer role, you are required to attend a selection day on Monday 9th January 2023.
Please apply: by sending your covering letter explaining why you want to be part of the research, which languages you can speak and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please only apply if you are a Ugandan national over 21 years old, based in Jinja, who is an active person with excellent research skills, can speak English, Luganda, Lusoga and some Kiswahili as well as have a passion for the work we do.
- The selection day will take place at our headquarters in Namulesa and we will provide you with lunch on this day but would expect you to transport yourself to the selection day and back.
- You will be volunteering 5 days in the week and we need volunteers who can commit to all 5 days.
- You will be facilitated 30,000 shillings per day to appreciate your time and energy during the research project.
- You will additionally be given 5,000 shillings per day as a food allowance during the research project.
- You will be given 5,000 shillings transport allowance per day to help you to transport yourself to area you have been assigned to do research in (which will change daily but all be in/near Jinja).
- This is an active role that involves a lot of walking to meet children to do the research, so please only apply if you are an active person (and wear comfortable shoes).
- We will repeat the research project again in February during the week of 20th – 24th so there is potential to be offered a second week of volunteering then if you are available and interested.
More about the organisation:
S.A.L.V.E. International stands for Support and Love Via Education International.
S.A.L.V.E. exists to give love and opportunities via education to children and the families of children living on the streets of Jinja, Uganda. We aim to see children leave the streets and return to a stable family home and education to help them to become happy, self-sustaining, responsible adults.
We achieve this through; Drug Rehabilitation, Street Outreach work and Home Resettlement, counselling and rehabilitation, educational support, community education and Business Empowerment, fundraising and awareness raising.
We are based in Jinja city, within Jinja district.